Learning Biblical Hebrew: Reading for Comprehension: An Introductory Grammar (Hardcover)
What's the best way to learn a new language? By approaching it not as a series of facts to memorize but as something alive, with a personality you can get to know and tendencies you can sometimes predict. Designed for long-term retention, Learning Biblical Hebrew focuses on helping students understand how the Hebrew language works and providing a solid grounding in Hebrew through extensive reading in the biblical text.
- Introduces advanced concepts in a form accessible to beginning students.
- Focuses on historic patterns and changes that minimize memorization.
- Focuses on how the language works for long-term retention.
- Encourages mastery of paradigms from a handful of representative forms.
- Includes extensive translation from the third week of class.
- Prepares students for translation of unedited biblical texts by the end of first semester.
- Emphasizes reading comprehension rather than decoding.
- Promotes a strong oral component to enhance language competence.
Written for first-year and second-year Hebrew students, grammar is laid out to present comprehensive concepts to first-year students and then to aid in review and deeper understanding for second-year students. Though written for Hebrew competency, Learning Biblical Hebrew is also well-suited for students with different learning styles and objectives.